Re: [OM] Screen clean method?

Subject: Re: [OM] Screen clean method?
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:37:08 -0400
I have washed screens a few times and have done so successfully.
I have resorted to washing for a variety of reasons, but mostly
when there's something that won't brush or blow off, or, as
recently, when I acquired some screens (a 1-1, 1-3, 1-11 and 1-13)
that were just plain grubby from having been stored improperly.

Here's how I do it: I wash the screen in the same concoction sold
for use in my VPI record cleaner.  Anything that won't hurt a
vinyl LP won't hurt a screen.  I immerse the screen in a small
amount of the solution, then massage it all over for a couple of
minutes with a soft half-inch wide camel's hair paint brush, being
particularly careful to follow the Fresnel groves, if any, or any
etched grid lines.

When cleaning a record on the VPI machine, the solution is
vacuumed off.  That's not really practical with a screen, so I
blast it and any debris that has been removed away with a stream
of compressed air.  Like John's setup, the air from my compressor
is filtered, and it's set at 120 psi, so about a one-second shot
per side gets rid of everything and leaves a clean and unspotted
screen.

The label on the jug of cleaning solution doesn't list the
ingredients, simply stating "Caution, contains 20 0sopropyl
alcohol."  I suspect it's just that and distilled water, so you
could always mix your own.  But if you don't have an air
compressor, I promise you, no matter how hard you huff and puff,
just blowing on it won't work.

Walt

 "Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time
 and to its government when it deserves it."  -- Mark Twain