[OM] ( OM ) Restrictive trade practices on eBay (was wild variations on

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Restrictive trade practices on eBay (was wild variations on epay)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:27:41 +1300
Hi folks

Andrew F wrote
> Not quite a garage sale - I just had a disturbing experience. I
> listed a Heliopan filter (49mm Light Green - anyone, anyone...?)  and
> was immediately threatened by one Bob Salomon (sounds familiar) that
> he was the US agent for Heliopan and I was 'not allowed' to offer any
> Heliopan item to a potential US buyer on pain of customs confiscation
> and legal action. Further and more annoyingly, he was able to have it
> delisted by evilbay under their VeRO program and they in turn
> threatened me with suspension.
> EXCUSE ME! Since when was selling a used item illegal? I note that
> this guy also has agencies for Rodenstock and Linhof - hope he
> doesn't try the same thing with a major brand. Is it not about time
> that *bay recognised itself as a transnational cyberentity?
> Garage sales rarely involve lawyers working to a foreign script!

 I just did a search on

http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/search-old.html

for "Heliopan" using the entry pane (International), and it came up with 4
screen-loads of auctions from USA, GB and Europe.  Many of these said
"Will ship internationally" or specified a range of countries they would ship
to.

Why did Salomon pick on Andrew?.  I feel like causing a little internet rumble
over this,  just to see what happens.

Brian