[OM] ( OM ) Re: How would you describe or translate 'thumb screw' ?

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: How would you describe or translate 'thumb screw' ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:26:33 +1300
Hello Fernando,

There are perhaps two kinds of thumb screws (non-torture kind).

1) Imagine a bolt with a hexagonal head. Cut a transverse slot across the our
face of the head. Weld in a flat sheet of metal and shape it to an oval.

Then you have a flat surface attached to the top of the bolt and with the flat
between thumb and side of index finger you can rotate the bolt.

2) Imagine a bolt with a very wide head, and the head shaped circular with a
coarse pattern of knurling. Again, thumb and fore-finger could rotate this bolt.

I think the proper usage of the name is (1).

Brian