[OM] John's meter Pt. 2

Subject: [OM] John's meter Pt. 2
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:36:34 -0500
>He tried to explain that the indicated metering differences between using
>the Sekonic and the OM4T's TTL system resulted from the differences in the
>colour temperature sensitivity of the light measuring cells in the two
>meters.

The proof  is in the pudding, or film as it is in this case. Whatever color
(or colour) temperature the light is, the exposure is either right or wrong
(within latitude).

>What I think has happened is that the linkage between the exposure
>information shown in the viewfinder does not match the actual shutter
speed.
>For example, multi-spot metering shows an average exposure in the view
>finder of say 1/45 @ f16. When the shutter is fired the shutter actually
>fires at 1/125 @ f16 giving me a properly exposed slide. When I set the
>camera manually at 1/125 @ f16, which is the Sekonic reading, the shutter
>actually fires at ~ 1/375 @ f16 giving me an under exposed image.

While the auto metering is not the same exactly as the manual (VF display)
reading, it surely should be closer than this.

>If my Sekonic gives me properly exposed slides using an M3 I am confident
>that the meter is accurate. The fact that I cannot take my Sekonic's
reading
>to my OM4T in manual mode tells me that the link between OM4T's indicated
>shutter speed is different from the actually speed with which the shutter
>fires. How does one get that line of thinking over to the CLA people!

We're assuming that the M3 speeds are on target here. If so, we know the
Sekonic is right. When you use it to make manual settings on the OM4, are
the exposures on? If so, take a series of chromes, with Sekonic reflected,
with Sekonic incident, with OM4 manual, with OM4 auto. Which ones are right?

This should be simple, as exposures are either right or wrong (again, within
film's latitude). Again, assuming shutter speeds are right, the good chromes
tell you what is working properly. It sounds like something isn't right with
the OM4. I don['t care whose specs were chosen, the results on the chromes
are the proof.

Bill Pearce