Re: [OM] The times they are a changin...

Subject: Re: [OM] The times they are a changin...
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:44:46 -0400
IMO: film will be here for our lifetimes and in specialized forms for generations to come. Ten + years from now a roll of 35mm film may be as hard to find as a 'B' bulb. The most pivotal comment in the release by Kodak: NO new investment. Thus, what we have will be it. All products including film and women are NEVER static. Entropy is inevitable without new investment. What was not said, but obvious: EK said uncle in the environ of high New York state taxes to a marketplace where Fuji has finally matched in technology and in marketing. The turtle wins the race. With continuing decline in the total market wrought by digital, the total market is insufficient to split and still remain competitive. Off to the future: CCDs are not the end game, just a new player. Philips has just announced in the last couple days a research breakthrough in 'electronic ink' paper. I can perceive this as the cornerstone to a new kind of digital 'film' beyond the CCD, a film which is exposed in your OM, removed and examined. Either keep it or reinsert for another shot!!! John Hermanson will be 'born again' supplying retrofitted OM backs!!! Physics: that of light and information transfer will not change. How we use them will forever change.

Posting: not one of gloom, but one of change. Change in the de facto standard of 35mm film is inevitable. Change in the quality/price of DYI color printing is long overdue. Kodak will continue to bring a 'K-moment' to our lives.
Cheer.
Bill