Re: [OM] New E-1 (noise reduction)

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1 (noise reduction)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:27:58 -0700
W Shumaker wrote:

Maybe I'm a cynic.

Certainly in some good company here, although not me, of course ;-)

Just implies that one can tweak the camera software to improve whatever you look at, so the numbers just end up being engineering tradeoffs between various algorithms.

As a buyer, this is not really meaningful, as I don't have any software choices. I can't put the latest Can*n image engine in my Oly. I can't even put the latest Oly engine in my next generation (several weeks?) Oly. In theory, someone might even design a sensor to compromise one spec that is easily corrected in software in order to minimize another that software can't help. You are looking at components as a design engineer, whereas I (and you, in this case) only have choices between complete systems.

Like I said, if one could look at the purely raw electronic data and see what the underlying electronics can actually do before any processing, maybe a realistic comparison could be made between cameras.

To me, that's the more unrealistic comparison, The more realistic comparison between black boxes with the same input is in the output. Unless I can have some effect on the output, I should be indifferent to the contents of the black box.

Moose