[OM] OT: Zuikos on Digital Rebel

Subject: [OM] OT: Zuikos on Digital Rebel
From: "Lama \(Jim L*Hommedieu\)" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry.  I was composing in Yahoo! Mail and hit some
combination of keystrokes and "sent" prematurely.
"This never happens to me- honest!"

Anyway, I gave the kid the paternal advice, like
"Cameras are tools.  Lifting a hammer wouldn't make
you nervous and your father's car cost way more that
this little Rebel, so you can get past this.  I began
saving for my first good camera when I was 15."

Anyway, the Digital Rebel feels like a camera.  Unlike
some fine SLRs we could name it actually has an ON/OFF
switch and a fixed hot shoe.

The flash threw light about 60 feet away, all the way
to the front wall of Best Buy and the white balance
looked perfect on the LCD panel.  It sure is fun.  The
only bad thing about it is the viewfinder
magnification is really viewfinder reduction.  I don't
think I will be happy focussing my Zuikos on that
dinky screen, based on multiple mirrors.  Why, in *MY
DAY* the pentapriam was ground from a solid chunk o'
glass and we had real songwriters and we....

I digress.  The viewfinder was bright but all of the
light was concentrated into a MUCH smaller image, like
a Super - 8 editor.  It would be a help for
composition though because you see it all at once.
Fit and finish was so good I almost didn't notice all
that plastic.

But it sure felt good.  $999.99 but it comes without a
memory card.  Unlike a film camera, you can't fire it
unless there's media in it.  Like the first time I
tried the N80, I walked away smiling.

Lama