[OM] Lens Storage in Bags

Subject: [OM] Lens Storage in Bags
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:50:51 -0400
Dan asked:
...is if it is really necessary to store lenses in soft pouches/hard cases in a bag... What are everyone's habits in this concern?
For ready access of lenses up to about 200mm I store them (without case) nose down in an appropriately sized partition in the bag. I do not use protective filters but each lens is fitted with a metal or hard rubber lens shade to protect the front element. Short lenses get stacked on one another with a piece of stiff 1/2" thick foam in between that is sized to the compartment. The front elements have to get dusted off once in a while but I have never damaged a front element.

The only exception to this rule are lenses that are simply to big to fit easily in a general carry bag or the 24mm shift. The shift lens gets carried in a separate bag and is always inside it's protective case as well.

When not being carried around the lenses resides in sealable plastic boxes with dessicant. This is a bit of a pain so I am building a small (31x24x12 inches) "tropical cabinet" as discussed on this list a couple of times in the past. For a heater I plan on trying a 60 watt equivalent fluorescent bulb which actually draws about 13 watts. Once it's together and has its doorway cracks sealed I will monitor temperature and humidity before entrusting the lenses to its care.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA