[OM] Re: Manual Focusing on Football

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual Focusing on Football
From: Regan Conley <reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:42:37 -0400

...and actually, I guess, almost OM-topic, can anyone give me
tips on how to follow-focus with a manual-focus lens (the photos
from the Tournament were all C*n*n AF)? I've been interested in
getting a 300+ prime for my OM, but am unsure how I'd go focussing
something like football (300 is sometimes not quite long enough for
football, but going longer with the C*n*n I don't think is
economically feasible for me).

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz
I think with a manual-focus lens, you're going to need to rely on a large depth of field and, well, some luck. I'd suggest using fast film and the smallest aperture you can get away with. With 400 speed film on a sunny or moderately sunny day, you should be able to shoot at f16 and stop action at 1/250 or 1/500. (But that's assuming you're using a monopod to limit camera shake. If you're shooting handheld with that lens, you'll probably want even faster film, so you can go to f16 at higher shutterspeeds.) At f16 you'll have a substantial depth of field and can pre-focus the lens and just leave it, making adjustments only as the action moves up and down the field.