[OM] Re: Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:40:52 -0700
>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>You will find that
>the shift lens... essentially turns your OM
>into a view-camera.  (overlly simplistic, I know)

Outch! As an avid view camera user, I take exception to that.

To REALLY get view camera functionality, one needs to do tilt as well as shift.
One needs tilt in order to do Scheimpflug focusing. By tilting the front or
rear standard, one causes the focal plane AND the focus plane to tilt. This
enables you to (for example) have a far off mountain and a nearby flower BOTH
in true focus -- not merely the smaller image circles one gets from small
apertures. But it also allows you to do unusual selective focus, such as
shooting a person with their eyes sharp, but the rest of the face soft.

I'm more and more using rear movements to focus and tilt, saving front motions
for shift (aka "rise" and "fall" in view camera nomenclature -- "shift" is
usually reserved for side-to-side motions).

The lack of Scheimpflug motions is keeping me from seriously investing in
digital, although I wouldn't turn down a Dicomed or Phase One back for my
4x5... maybe they'll drop below $5000 used one of these days...

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.