[OM] Re: Shift Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift Lens
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:19:55 +1000
However, that is just the start.  You will find that
the shift lens might become your "standard" lens for nearly all
non-people/action photography.  It essentially turns your OM
into a view-camera.  (overlly simplistic, I know)

Huh? I do understand the principles of the perspective correction of a shift lens. But how does one turn my OM into a view camera? And what will that do for me?

Running a true view camera gets expensive! One of the best advantages of a 35mm PC lens is to get rid of 'keystoning' - the perspective distortion caused by shooting upwards at buildings (it refers to the tapered 'keystone' that locks a stone arch). This tapering effect is the bane of architectural photography and of those who like rigidly controlled lines. Grant Mudford is a top architectural photog who made his name with a Nikkor 35mm PC (I think) when he used to be an Australian :) - industrial B&W shots of things like truck parks with lots of nice precise right angles. Look for some of his early work.
Personally, I prefer to get bent right out of shape.
AndrewF