Re: [OM] B&W Film Recommendation for the masses

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W Film Recommendation for the masses
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 19:43:31 +1000
For those of you lamenting over B&W film processing, I would
suggest that you give "Ilford XP-2 Super" a serious try. This
film is the best of breed when it comes to C41 processed
monochrome films.

My understanding has been -
XP-2 if you print your own but don't want to process as it has very little base (orange) mask and performs better on BW paper. Kodak B&W Select if you use an ordinary but good mini-lab, T400CN if you use a pro lab. The Kodak films seem to be optimised for colour paper. Both Kodaks appreciate being rated at 200iso for slightly higher contrast according to a test I saw in a local magazine. For the 'masses' - I'd recommend B&W Select for safety.
There's a Konica one as well that has some fans.