Re: [OM] Lines on a new monitor?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lines on a new monitor?
From: Daniel Tan <daniel.tan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:33:31 +1000
It's a Diamondtron, AKA Trinitron (Mitsubishi's adaptation of the technology).
This means it's a Aperture Grille type monitor. Aperture grille monitors are
set in vertical lines. It's more or less a sheet of thin vertical wires
dividing the front reactive coatings. The grey lines you are seeing are
horizontal shadows from wires that are holding the vertical wires in place.
This is normal. A 15", 17" have 1, 19", 21" have 2. look on
www.tomshardware.com for more info.

If you didn't want the grey lines, you should have bought a shadow mask or
flatron (LG) monitor. The ups and downs of the various technologies can be
debated. Aperture grille monitors do have the highest brightness and best
colour rendition, however the stripe pitch (spacing between pixels) leaves a
lot to be desired.

I would write more, but I've completely forgotten the specifics. I used to know
a lot about them (I've got a Philips Brilliance 109p4 Trinitron FD monitor)

Regards
Daniel