[OM] London Meeting of Zuikoheads

Subject: [OM] London Meeting of Zuikoheads
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 06:34:35 +0100
Dear All

We got together a group of of List members on Saturday 30 August. The occasion, or trigger, was Bill Barber who was in London at the end of a tour of Ireland and the West of England. As well as Bill and I, there were Jason Gidden, Roger Wesson and Jon Mitchell and his lady, Christine (both of whom were at the last meeting in London earlier this year) .

We met at 1000 outside Tower Hill underground station; this overlooks the Tower of London towards the Thames. Roger Wesson met up with us later. After introductions, we ambled towards Tower Bridge which we took nearly an hour to cross ;-). Bill had brought his 18/3.5 and 21/3.5 for us to play with. I have my own 21/3.5, but it was interesting to use the 18mm lens and to compare the coverage. It is a beautiful piece of glass, but I should have to be very careful with that protruding front element. Bill has an Olympus step-up ring and 72mm filter attached which makes it look quite large (and professional).

It was a lovely day (weather guesser guessed wrong) with puffy cumulus clouds making an interesting skyline. We ambled, slowly, east along the river towards Rotherhithe, past pretty scenes of the river, Tower Bridge, the Swiss Re tower (the "Gherkin"), barges and converted dockland warehouses. With Roger's guidance we ended up at the Angel pub, on Angel Wharf; someone said that it was the oldest pub in London, but the beer was good (Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Bitter as well as the standard lagers) and the food was fine.

It was an excellent day out taking photos and chatting. I took more photos than last time (nearly a roll of Velvia) and it was thanks to Bill for taking the time to visit London. There was quite a bit of OT chat, but no animosity ;-); Jason know lots about computers and coding (I knew that Roger did). It might be a good idea to put up a common website with the best shots from the day...

Cheers

Chris
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker