Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:29:06 -0500
600mm is VERY long and you can't handhold it and get acceptabley sharp images,
IMO.  A monopod is the very least I'd accept, and then I'd work at 1/1000 or
1/2000.  The best way would be to have it securely mounted and have a beanbag
on top of the lens to damp vibrations from the mirror.

The 1-8 screen will give the brightest image with it's very fine matte.

I've had several mirror lenses over the years and IME you have to set your
expectations that you're going to get nice results, but not close to an
all-glass lens.  Be careful of too many out-of-focus highlights, as they turn
into doughnuts.

I wouldn't consider any teleconverters unless it will get you a shot that
absolutely you can't get any other way.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost