Re: [OM] Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:51:14 -0700
However, this is not a Vivitar or Tamron, etc. The Sigma 600/8 has a slide-out filter holder on the side of the lens almost back at the mount. Easy to change filters with lens on the camera. With an extra holder or 2, switches would only take a couple of seconds.

My suspicion is that only ND filters will work in this posititon (on any brand) as the image is close enough to formed that waterhouse stops would cause vignetting. I think this partially for vaguely formed theoretical reasons, but mostly from the fact that nobody has ever done it on a commercial product. I can't imagine that some manufacturer would not have tried to get a feature jump on the competition (and an actually useful feature, at that) if they could figure out how to do it.

Moose

Jeff Keller wrote:

Unfortunately the filter on a Vivitar Series 1 resides inside the T-mount so
changing the filter involves taking the camera off