[OM] foam replacement

Subject: [OM] foam replacement
From: "Douglas Tourtelot" <tourtelot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:06:27 -0700
>Camera Clinic, in the Shoreline area should be capable of a satisfactory
>foam replacement job, if that's all you're after.  Kenmore Camera dittos.
>If you're wanting to keep it local, that is.

Kenmore Camera, my favorite local shop for used, uses Camera Clinic for
their repairs and marks it up (as they should.)  Go to the source.

Doug is capable, but for real OM service, I'd go to Clint or John.  They are
the best at OMs.

PS.  I'd say that any battery powered condenser mic would never be found in
even a basement Mackie/Alesis (and not that these brands are bad, mind you.
They have changed the history of sound recording).  Batteries can not supply
the current that would be sufficient to record dynamics or any sort.  But
now-a-days, it's really easy to get 48vdc Phantom and there are some awfully
good condenser mics out there for not too much money.  Also BTW, the
Earthworks mics were originally instrumentation (ie. laboratory sound
measurement) mics and may not be what you want to record your chosen
instrument with.  Let's just say that the Earthworks and the Neumann U47s
don't sound anything alike and neither is a "bad" mic by any stretch.  I
don't like the sound of the Earthworks and tend to be a Schoeps man
myself<g>.  But like cameras and lenses, there are ardent defenders of all
of the good ones.

Douglas Tourtelot, CAS
727 N 179th Place
Seattle, WA  98133