Re: [OM] got a 135/2.8 silvernose, but will I keep it?

Subject: Re: [OM] got a 135/2.8 silvernose, but will I keep it?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:23:55 -0400
When a lens forms an image every part of the lens contributes to every part of the image. If you were to add up the surface area of the dust or paint particles floating around inside you'd probably be hard pressed to come up to one percent of the surface area of the glass. Consider that we've just been discussing mirror lenses where it's not unusual for the secondary mirror to be 25-30 percent of the diameter of the primary. Some even 50 percent. The deleterial effects aside from some light loss is diffraction and reduced contrast. The effects of a little dust or paint flecks is trivial. Just go enjoy the lens.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA