[OM] Pictures through the windscreen (was: USD1100 for a Zuiko 90mm f/2

Subject: [OM] Pictures through the windscreen (was: USD1100 for a Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro?)
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:24:50 -0700
Daniel wrote:
>Has anyone attempted taking a photo, out through the
>windscreen of a moving car? How were your results?

Yep.  Well, not exactly "through the windscreen."  Last summer,  I was going
down the freeway and a truck passed me carrying an 800 pound part I had just
machined.  I just happened to have the XA with me (carry those cameras!).
Speeded up and rolled down the passenger window, and did a
seat-of-the-pants, 65 mph  f-stop guess setting.  Gingerly took a couple
grab shots.  They came out better than I expected.  Semi-decent, providing a
memento of the largest parts I've ever machined.  I also have the burn scars
on my arms from the nasty, jagged red-hot metal chips to go with the photos.

I don't recommend this photographic method, for obvious reasons.  It's
rather like talking on a cell phone, putting on make-up, reading, etc. while
driving.  I'm sure if a state trooper had seen me doing this, I would have
been pulled over and given the lecture, if not a ticket for negligent
driving.

Long ago, I did take a photo or two THROUGH the windscreen (windshield for
us Americans).  Not much to look at.  Too much distortion, glare, plus every
splattered bug & imperfection in the glass is added to your shot.  Add the
safety factor... forget it (don't do as I do, do as I say...)

Rich