Re: [OM] Marseille? Any hints and/or ideas what to bring?

Subject: Re: [OM] Marseille? Any hints and/or ideas what to bring?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:54:15 +0200
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:29:51 -0500
Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas,
>       As an alternative, instead of the RD, bring a 50mm (1.8 or
>       3.5). It
> fills that gap and makes a great lens cap.

Charles,

Hmm.....see, now we start to get into three-lenses. Pretty soon
someone will say "take the 200/5 too, just in case" and pretty soon
I'll need a seperate train for the photo gear.... :)

>       Regarding the Pentax, I know nothing about them but I'm sure
>       it's a
> fine camera but I couldn't resist the jibe. Your point is well
> taken.

Most cameras are really fine gear. The right tool for the right job,
and all that, right? :)

However if I am to take a camera diving, I would take the OM1 rather
than the MZ-S. The MZ-S would fry beyond repair immediately, the OM1
might have a chance if sent to the right repair-guys right away....

Still, I am not even going to bring cameras on the boat, and will
just leave it ashore. I definitely will be either wet with salt water
when I want to take pictures, or I would be below surface with
someone else just knocking salt water all over it. And I am not sure
that there will be a lot to photograph while in the boat anyways:
most dives will be within 30min sailing from the port, which is just
about the time it will take to get rigged up anyways.

> Frequently my minimal kit is an OM-2 with the 35-70
> f3.5-4.5. If it must fit in the pocket then it's either the XA or
> Stylus Epic (if I can only have only one focal length I prefer the
> 35mm).

I ain't got no XA or Epic. The 35RD is, probably, the smalles I have
(okok, asside from the Minoxes, that is...)

Still undecided, except that I do not want to bring a zoom (since
they take too much light compared to primes).

>       Last but not least...have a great trip.

Ohh, I will. If I get any decent pictures taken, I may share with you
guys. Otherwise, you'll just have to make do with my bragging about
colorful fish when I get back :)

Thanks for your good wishes,

--thomas