Re: [OM] An observation

Subject: Re: [OM] An observation
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:02:39 +0100
Must be the weather or something, Walt.  I took a longer than expected
holiday from the list (meant to be 2 weeks, turned out to be 6 !) and when I
returned it seemed like a different place.  There seems to be an incredible
tendency to turn even the simplest of questions or discussions into an "I'm
Right, so You must be Wrong" argument.  I was so surprised by the mails from
one person (whom I remembered being calm and nice to everyone before I went
away) that I had to check his emails to see if it was actually the same
person, and not someone using his "name" in here !!

That said, the major arguments I've seen here over the last couple of weeks
have all been calmed down and apologies have been made all round (as far I
can see !), so at least we can say it is just temporary madness coming over
people !!

And whoever spoke up for those for whom English is not their second
language - well said.  I could not even begin to piece together a coherent
sentence in another language (I'm ashamed to say) let alone create one that
could not be misconstrued in any way.

So keep up the discussions guys - I know we all benefit from at least some
of them (depending on where your interests lie).  Just remember there's more
than one way to do most things, and each has merits.

Just keep on OM-ing, and everything else will be right with the world !!

Jon

PS:  Walt ?  List Curmudgeon ?  I'm sure I remember at least one list member
challenging you openly for that title !!