Re: [OM] Tamron 180/2.5 2.5/180

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 180/2.5 2.5/180
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:48:49 -0400
In a message dated 8/13/2003 12:20:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> A lot of chatter while I was gone about the Tamron 180/2.5. If I want
> speed in that range, I just use the 80-200/2.8. Anybody who has used
> both have a perspective on comparing the two lenses,
> performance, size,
> weight, etc.?

I have both and the 180mm is about half the size of the 80-200mm.  The 80-200
came with a tripod mount(albeit a flimsy one)for a reason.  The Tamron 180 is
slightly smaller than the Zuiko and stays that way as it has internal focus
while the Zuiko doesn't. Don't get me wrong, the Zuiko is one heck of a fine
lens.  Oh, BTW I have a mint one with caps,case & instructions I would like to
send to a new home at about $150 less than Johnny Quinns opening bid on his
lens. Both Tamrons record sharp images and I suspect in my case most lack of
quality with either of these two has to do with operator rather than design &
engineering problems.  Give a good photographer a disposable camera and they
will produce good images . . . sometimes with even the best equipment I find a
way to mess things up.  Sometimes not and that is what keeps me burning film.
Bill Barber