Re: [OM] Tamron 180/2.5 2.5/180

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 180/2.5 2.5/180
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:48:57 -0400
In a message dated 8/12/2003 8:27:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I've talked to three persons who have had their focus points go off,
> preventing them from focusing at infinity.  Greg Logidice was the last person
> who had this problem, he's still on the list.  Admittedly, this is a very
> small sample and has NO basis for representing the larger population....but
> it is
> strange

The 180mm f2.5 is one of my favorites and I would wonder if this problem is not
only strange, but perhaps atypical.  There are a number of Zuikos which have
maladies which occasionally occur, however that should not keep us from buying,
using and enjoying them.  If it did, none of us would have the 35-70mm f3.6,
the 65-200mm,the 8mm and others in our kit.  As an owner of one of these
lenses, the question I have is, "Is it repairable at a reasonable cost?".
Given enough time, I think all lenses will eventually need to have a CLA and I
wonder if the repair on these Tamron 180s is any more of a project than the A
part of CLA.  Enquiring minds want to know.  Any insight from Skip, John, Clint
or others?  Bill Barber