Re: [OM] Just Another Day at the Office (Not OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Just Another Day at the Office (Not OT)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:12:57 -0500
At 03:04 PM 8/11/03, Chris Barker wrote:
A very interesting set of shots John.  I like the variety of compositions.

Thanks . . . some of them are documentary to show how it's done and some of them are interesting things I saw around the factory. My greatest success though was avoiding being incinerated by all the 2,000+ F glass being tossed around! It's most definitely a workplace in which one does not want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I initially wondered why the sheet glass factory was so dimly lit inside. After two days I realized it's actually safer that way. If it glows, it's not just hot, it's damned hot. If lighting were increased to the normal high level found in most factories it would be more difficult to see things that are glowing hot.

But ... I give up with the film. What ISO were you setting on the camera, and what did it say on the box that you took the film out of?

TMax P3200 is a multi-speed film with a nominal ISO rating of 800-1000 depending on exact chemistry. It's intended to be "pushed" and was designed for push-2, hence it's name: P3200. Based on its behavior at push-1 (EI 1600) in the past I don't believe I'd want to use it at its nominal speed. At EI 1600 it's much like Tri-X Pan in grain and latitude. Latitude would be much too wide at its rated speed (ISO 800) resulting in much lower contrast than I care for. Grain increases and latitude narrows slightly at EI 3200 compared to EI 1600.

In this case (the glassworks) I metered various parts of the factory and used it at push-2 (EI 3200). As a result it required push-2 developing by a full-service pro lab and incurred an additional cost. I don't recommend using TMax P3200 outdoors in daylight. It handles much better under man-made artificial lighting indoors. Ilford makes a very similar B&W film, Delta 3200. It also has a nominal speed rating of ISO 800, and like TMZ it is intended to be pushed. If you've given up on TMZ, you might try the Ilford. I used a couple rolls of the Ilford and went back to TMZ primarily because I try to use it at EI 1600 indoors if possible, and want "Tri-X" type appearance it renders at that speed.

-- John