Re: [OM] Just Another Day at the Office (Not OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Just Another Day at the Office (Not OT)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:46:26 -0500
At 10:20 PM 8/10/03, you wrote:
What were they making?

Real nice John!

Thanks . . .
Had a blast (furnace) making the photographs!

They're making sheets of "opalescent" glass. Furnace runs at 2,500 F. Glass runs as well . . . like water . . . OK, more like thin syrup. Other than the bed that rolls out the glass being motorized, it's much the same method as was used 112 years ago when the factory was established. It's one of about a half-dozen or so in the world that makes that type of glass.

BTW, I spent the first hour or so of the shoot simply watching the work (and glass) flow. Last thing I wanted to do was get in their path! The hot glass instantly ignites anything flammable it comes into contact with. Some of the glass formulations require five different types/colors of glass and there will be one man after another with a ladle filled with molten glass. If one dribbles a little and someone behind him steps in it, flames shoot up from under his boot(s) and there's a brief odor of very hot, burning rubber.

-- John