RE: [OM] [OT or OnTopic] DOF with digital cameras !

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT or OnTopic] DOF with digital cameras !
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:10:49 -0400
You can get a nice DOF calculator free from Digital Light & Color, maker of Picture Window photo editing software. Go to:

<http://www.dl-c.com>

and click on downloads and then scroll down looking for the DOF calculator. (there's a lot of other stuff you can download for free as well if you're so inclined).

If we could put our OM lenses on an E-1 which has a 2X factor we'd need to use a 25mm lens for the same image magnification we'd expect from a Zuiko 50mm. I just ran a trial calculation of a 50mm lens set at f/5.6 and focused at 5 feet and using 30 lines/mm as the desired resolution.

I then changed the focal length to 25mm and the resolution to 60 lines/mm. (Remember, we have to magnify this half size image twice as much in order to get the same size print). The 25mm then shows the same DOF as the 50mm when it's at f/2.8. In other words, we had to be able to open up 2 stops to maintain the DOF.

CH would not have as big a jump with his 10D since I think the magnification factor with that sensor is about 1.6 instead of 2 as it is with the E-1. Even though it's only two stops difference Oly has a bit of a challenge to duplicate the shallow DOF effect of the OM Zuiko 85/2 in a 40-50mm 4/3 system E-series Zuiko. Anybody for a 42.5mm f/1.2? The announced E-1 zooms only go down to 2.8 so they will have DOF performance like 5.6 on 35mm.

Am I talking myself out of an E-1? Maybe somebody can find a technical hole in my argument and tell me it's not really two stops.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA