Re: [OM] Advice to a newbie?

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice to a newbie?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:21:27 +1000
The later K1000's WERE made in China by Pearl River Corp - they went on to make clones under the name of Millenium or just K1000 without the Pentax logo and with LED's instead of a meter needle. The quality descended rapidly. The Pentax K1000 moved from Japan to China in manufacture in the mid-eighties and there is an identifying 'Made in China' sticker on the baseplate. The baseplate also changed profile with 'bevels' on the edges. The earlier Japanese ones are more robust and damn near indestructible - although sticking a finger through the shutter blind will do it as a student of mine proved (and denied). KR-5's are a very good K mount alternative but less robust - the wind mechanism has some fragile brass parts - but will do well with care. Abundant and cheap - I see them for US$60-70 in good condition. Yashicas such as the FX-3 and FX-D are quite good and can often be had cheap as the leatherette covering has stripped - leaving an ugly cloth look. Needless to say, this has no effect on the image and Morgan Sparkes has replacement leatherette kit if it matters. Lenses are fair quality but harder to find - Zeiss (Contax) lenses fit and are very pricey but awfully nice. There were an number of Canon 1970's bodies of robust character that can be had very cheaply and there are lots of reasonable FD lenses around too. Most basic photog courses prefer that your camera does not have an auto function of any kind. No cheating OK?!
AndrewF

Before I started, I did a research and at the end was K1000 or OM1. I remember that I choose the OM1, because the viewfinder was brighter and also there was a rumor that in latter years the K1000 was made in China and its quality was very poor. There are other excellent choices, Ricoh KR5(?) comes to mind. My advice would be that if you just start, your camera would not have to be a mechanical one, you just need the manual control. There are excellent (and extremely cheap) choices such as Minolta X-700, some Yashica models and of course Ricoh. Each one of these cameras has either Minolta, Contax or Pentax/Nikon Mount and much lagrer choice of available good lenses. Once you outgrow this system(in which you invested so little, (you can pick up the camera and three good primes for $100 or less) you can choose if you need the full mechanical. Learn the basics first and then decide.
Ciao
Boris