RE: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 35-80mm/F2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 35-80mm/F2.8
From: "Daniel" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:22:36 -1000
Here's the review
http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm,Zoom/Tamron,,SP,35-105mm,f2.8,Asph
erical/PRD_84435_3128crx.aspx
Reviewed by: lokerd, Professional, from Beaumont, Texas, USA

Price Paid: $702 at Silvio's Photoworks

Photography Experience:
11-20 years, People

lens. I had to buy this lens because of shooting needs. A lab required a
constant exposure for some work I was doing in bulk shooting in a studio
setting. The 2.8 constant aperture was the only way to ensure that I was
getting the same exposure as I zoomed in on some subjects. In addition,
I have shot many weddings, and have been very pleased with this lens. I
have not experienced any unusual focus noise...it is certainly quiter
than my Nikkor 80-200 lens.

Now I haven't shot sharpenss test, but you can view for yourself on
http://pbase.com/lokerd/kennedybday that the lens is quite SHARP and
perfectly contrasty. I have shot this lens against my Nikkor 80-200/2.8
at 80 and 100mm and can hardly tell a difference.

Strengths:
Birghtness of view finder is exceptional. The zoom has little drift when
held vertical. Focusing is quick on my N80, and even quicker on my D100.

Weaknesses:
The outside ring rotates when focusing, which is a disadvantage when
using a polarizer. It is difficult to put the lens cap on when the
bayonet lens hood is on, but both of these negatives are true also of my
other lenses.

Customer Service:
N/A with this camera in the 7 years I have owned it. However, I once
worked with Tamron on a 300/2.8 and they were very good to work with.
Did work in warranty, even though it could have been ruled out