Re: [OM] ( OM ) Olympus Six

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Olympus Six
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:58:17 +0100
Sounds like fun Brian. I hope that the repairs come through well enough for you to use it.

Chris

On Tuesday, Aug 5, 2003, at 12:33 Europe/London, Brian Swale wrote:

Hi everybody,

Perhaps you remember the Olympus Six I "accidentally" bought on oBoy
about two months ago.

The shutter didn't work very well, the bellows had some holes, and I could see what looked like drops of ? oil on the inner surface of the lens. But the rest looks fine (except for the leather case which was poor quality from the
word go, I'd say).

Progress report is that the shutter now works reasonably well (apparently it is a copy of an early version of a German Prontor shutter that is rather primitive compared to later designs), the "oil" actually was the interior coating of the lens (at least one element) and it had self-destructed. Now at least the glass is clean and without bobbles on it. The bellows is under repair. The folds are being persuaded though a process of repeated wetting with water and then pinching in the appropriate places then drying, to resume something like the proper form. Apparently the design / manufacture is too
short for the length of the extension and consequently the material is
stretched far too much.

It should be usable in about a week and I have already bought the first roll of film in anticipation of this. I will also probably make up a lens hood for it.

Brian
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.