[OM] An OM-PC and 35-70 fang? Removing white oxide on rubber grips

Subject: [OM] An OM-PC and 35-70 fang? Removing white oxide on rubber grips
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:24:10 -0400
As Moose says, he's bought several OM-PC's where nothing was wrong except dead batteries. I just did the same and for $54 (shipping included) got an OM-PC with no brassing and a 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 in the same condition to go along with it.

Except for white oxide on the PC's rubber grips both body and lens look like they came out of their boxes not long ago. The body still has the clear, adhesive plastic protective strip attached to the bottom.

In the auction photos the body looked terrible because of all the white oxide and I was not expecting much. The lens was described as "in decent shape". I wasn't expecting much there either except that I'd probably get at least a serviceable lens. I did not have nor have I ever even used Tom's favorite lens so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I have several other faster, non-OM lenses in this range but, in comparison, this one appears to be a diminutive, lightweight sweetie.

I haven't had a chance to fully check everything out but the lens appears just fine. Smoooooth focus and zoom and snappy diaphragm. The camera appears to meter properly on manual and auto and the shutter speeds sound about right but that's about as far as I've gotten on testing the body.

Now to the real reason for this note. Does anyone have any experience removing the white oxide that appears on the OM-PC's grips? I have a couple other PC's and none of them exhibit this malady but I have seen it before on PC's up for auction. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it appeared in the auction picture but I'd still like to get it off. The rest of the body is just too nice looking to leave this white residue on the grips. I'm not an Armorall user but would something like that do the trick?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA