Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag

Subject: Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:24:13 -0300
On 7/26/03 12:47 PM, "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Replicate is replacing "duplicate" or, heaven forbid, simply "copy".

At work we became overwhelmed by a few fad sentence constructions from
management for awhile (seems to be fading out again now which is good). The
biggest one was "on a go forward basis". I'm not sure why that was seen as
being better than "from now on" (fewer words and syllables, more
straightforward) or "effective immediately" (fewer words, more syllables,
but still more straightforward meaning) or any number of other sentence
constructs to mean something is going to start and it will continue
indefinitely into the future.

The other big one was the use of proactive all the time. Usually, it would
be coupled with "positive" such as "we will be managing this in a positive
and proactive manner". Yes, it's a legitimate word (opposite of reactive)
but managers usually don't use it in a proper context. In many cases, any
memo we'd get talking about being proactive about something would be a
reaction to something that had happened. Or, the policies outlined would all
be reactive ("if x happens we will do y", as opposed to "we will do z to
prevent x from happening").

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx