[OM] Sun as a star

Subject: [OM] Sun as a star
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:42:14 -0400 (EDT)
Cc:
Yes, I know that the sun is a star, but this time I want to talk to you about
the starry appearance of it in the pictures.
Recently I read an article in "Outdoor Photographer" I think about using the
wideangle lenses to achieve the effect.
Looking at the image, I drew the analogy of photographing in low light
conditions and to be more specific, how the light sources appear, remembering
that their shape depends on the number of elements the diaphragm consists of.
I assume that this does not apply when it comes to the sun, because the "rays"
were at least 12 if not more.  Am I wrong or lenses with that many elements
exist?
Many thanks in advance.
Boris