[OM] more adventures

Subject: [OM] more adventures
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:01:41 -0500
Thomas,

"Matter of preference. I always shoot slides + B/W. And I always say
"I'll go back when the light is better", not expecting anyone else to
follow. I am usually not travelling in a group but with colleagues
for work, so that gives a bit of freedom."
You are fortunate. The largest group we've ever traveled with was with 5
like-minded friends, including one who knew a back way into the sistine
chapel. We generally go to single destinations for at least a week, and
still time is short!

"Ahmm...well, I have once, and once only been on a "group tour". I was
on Hawaii (Oahu) and wanted to get out of the Waikiki area so I
signed up for an all-day around-the-island thing with a tour
guide/driver person. We were, I think, 12 adults. Well, suffice to
say, I disapprove of being shuffled around like a cattle on a farm
from comercial venue to comercial venue (which, of course, had
agreements with the tour operator) and talked down to as if I was a 6
year old with comprehension problems."
Hawaii is one of those particularly bad destinations for this. Jim, I think,
is going as part of a church group, so I suspect his time will be
"Organized."

"Never and never again will you find me on a tour bus. Never.....!"
One thing we do is whenever possible, take a bus tour on arrival. One of
those "see the city" tours can generally take a half day, and it gives us a
geographical sense of the location that maps cannot. It really helps to get
bearings for future explorations.

"WHAT!!! So what do you propose I do to keep down the
blood-concentration in my caffeine-streams?"
Sorry.

> sorry to this group, but
> my Xpan is a must on trips,

"Was that the H-blad camera or the film?"
The camera.

> Take two kinds of photos, memories, and art. Just remember to enjoy
> the finer things as well, including food, wine, and the ability to
> buy Cuban cigars.

So you suggest that I quite coffee, take up smoking and get a H-blad
camera? Hmmmmm....what's it comming to with you? :)
I've given worse advice!

Bill Pearce