Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards

Subject: Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:18:02 -0400
Ironically, one of my interesting memories of photography class was also in
Houston and also with a 4x5 view camera.  I was taking a class in 1978. Our
assignment was to take a memorable architecture shot with the view camera. I
decided I wanted a shot of the Pennzoil building, a very interesting
building downtown. I drove all around downtown for an hour trying to choose
my angle and decided that the angle I wanted was occupied by the convention
center (since torn down, I think).  Being a naive college student, I went in
to the office and asked if I could climb up on their roof, fulling expecting
them to laugh me out of their office.

Not only did they agree, but they had a security guard go with me and he
helped me out for at least an hour and a half.  Got some beautiful shots --
wish I new where those negatives  were (Ilford HP5).

Try THAT today.

Tom

> In a message dated 7/11/2003 7:31:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jms@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Times have changed, it's more than your safety they're worried about
> > now. With all of the terorist alerts in the shipping world, the first
> > thought when railroad emmployees see someone photographing trains is
> > that the photographer is making plans for some sort of
> > attack.
> Brings back memories of 1969 or 70, when I was in college, of carrying a
4X5 view camera out to Houston Intercontential Airport.  Waltzed right in,
set up the camera and took pictures of the tunnels under the airport
buildings, inside and out side the buildings and I think I was in the
walkways going to the gates when security caught up with me.  Got to take a
little trip to security and had some explaining to do, however was soon
released and sent on my way to complete my project. In today's world I'd
probably be buried under the tunnels or sent to Cuba.  Heck, we can't even
carry a roll of film with us on vacation.  It is unfortunate that the
peoples of the world can not get along and respect one another.  Bill Barber