Re: [OM] OT Lei*a designed for digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Lei*a designed for digital
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:35:20 +0100
In article , Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Seems like the OM's that are data-back capable would be able to work with a
rudimentary interface with an intelligently-designed digital back.

The pressure plate occupies roughly the plane that the image sensor needs to
fall in. The OM's are manual focus, would need to be manual exposure
setting, or operated in that mode. The critical need would be for the
digital back electronics to 'read' the image sensor at the right instant
after the shutter is open. This could probably be triggered from the x-sync
signal.

You'd have to set the shutter at 1/60 for a full image-sensor illumination
at once. I suppose you could incorporate higher shutter speeds
electronically in the digital back, with a setting separate from the camera
setting... but manual exposure only. Once the image sensor is scanned, the
digital back could write the data to a storage device, and reset on its own.
Image processing software could compensate for the lesser illumination of
our non-digital spec Zuikos to get an even image despite those nasty
off-axis light rays. You'd still have to wind the shutter to reset the
camera body.

I don't see how any of this is unfeasible, but to have it make 'business
sense' might be difficult given the current cost of full-frame image
sensors. I suppose you could use a smaller sensor, but then why not just use
a digital camera... I suspect that in a few years the cost of 24mm x 36mm
images sensors will drop to a point where they can be played around with. We
already did a soldering iron survey, I'm ready...

I looked into doing this for personal use a couple of years back with a Philips FT-3020C 24x36mm CCD and a modified OM-1n and its not as easy as you suggest at all. The first mistake you have made is in the first sentence of the second paragraph - the image plane is the milled surfaces that the film is held against by the pressure plate, not the plate itself. Since the CCD is encased in a ceramic package with a window (typically 2-3mm physical distance beneath the surface of the window - less optically because of the refractive index of the window itself) you need to mount the CCD package further forward than this. That requires some serious metalwork on the OM body, but even then the dimensions are such that the package would foul the shutter curtain and prevent its operation. There is insufficient focus adjustment on the OM cameras to permit shifting the focal plane to permit the CCD package just to align on the film runners. :-(

Also, the databack contact isn't really suitable for synchronising. The best solution is to use the mirror-up switch contacts on the base of the camera - you will need to use space on the base in any case to build a unit with enough power and storage capacity for your images in any case, so this isn't as inconvenient as you might think. The CCD can then easily be synchronised for exposure at all speeds. The mirror-up contacts just take the device out of reset (start of integration), the shutter exposes the CCD, the mirror contacts confirm exposure is complete and initiate the readout sequence. Using appropriate circuits a second frame of the same integration time can then be taken with the shutter closed to correct for dark current. Ideally a secondary shutter release similar to that used on the motor drive/winder mechanism would prevent operation faster than the time required to readout the CCD twice.

The only problem I couldn't overcome was getting the CCD to the film plane itself - and I certainly wouldn't recommend taking the CCD out of the package. Even if you did, there is still the issue of getting electrical contact to it without shorting onto the camera body. I guess it could be done, but it would require significant metalworking around the shutter - which would necessitate a complete disassembly of the body. That was more than I was willing to take on for a personal toy at the time.

Incidentally, I noted the comments Olympus made on the suitability of the OM optics for digital cameras and my primary reaction was "Baloney!". I have actually built a camera (well two actually) with an 18mm f/3.5 Zuiko fitted to a colour CCD and there were no discernable colour problems at all. Now this may not be the widest lens in the OM group, but it's close. My reason for using the short focal length was because the application was for a free-swimming underwater submersible for oil pipe inspection. This required stereo vision (hence the two cameras) and, being underwater, the effective focal length was multiplied by 1.5, roughly the refractive index of sea water - so it functioned more like a 28mm f/2.8. Now I have to admit that the chromatic impurity issue did concern me before I did this, but since the problem didn't arise with that lens, I find it hard to believe that it would with any other lenses in the OM range. My conclusion is that Olympus are just not interested in maintaining compatibility with legacy products when they can sell everyone new lenses. Any story that suppresses the demand for such compatibility is worth peddling.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers