[OM] XA and Epic volume displacements

Subject: [OM] XA and Epic volume displacements
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:57:17 -0400
Andrew said:
You can get the actual volumes easily by measuring displacement of water.

So I did. I placed both the Epic and an XA into thin plastic bags, sucked the air out and twisted them closed so that the bag was as form fitting as possible and dunked each into a kitchen measuring cup.

Results:
XA displaces approximately 5.5 US ounces or 163 cc.
Epic displaces approximately 8 US ounces or 237 cc.

These results are not exactly precise but I would venture that they are probably within 5 percent of the correct answer. I didn't measure it but the XA would, of course, lose big time with the A-11 flash attached.

Caution: The bag that I placed the Epic in apparently had a few pinholes since the camera ended up with a few water drops on the outside. I was not worried, however, since this is the same camera that proved it is capable of surviving 3-5 seconds completely submerged with no plastic bag to protect it.

Do not repeat this experiment at home unless you are professionally trained and experienced. :-)

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA