Re: [OM] Olympus XA aperture problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus XA aperture problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:23:36 -0500
Do the aperture blades move with the slide?  If so, the slide that moves the
aperture is probably bent -- perhaps it was forced at some point.  It's easy to
check, though:

There's five screws on the bottom -- three long screws (one under the battery
check switch lever), two short.  You might as well remove them all and take off
the bottom cover.  (There's a shortcut, but it's not worth describing!)  It
helps to slide the barrier half way open when you lift off the bottom.

With the bottom off and the camera right-side-up, you can remove the barrier by
lifting the bottom edge up and away from the front of the camera.  Underneath
the top is a chrome roller that provides the "click" -- don't loose it!

Under the barrier you'll see one chrome screw -- remove it.  Now open the back
cover and look past the take-up spool -- remove the black screw.  Now the front
cover can be lifted off.

Underneath you can see the aperture slide -- it's held in by two screws on top
of two posts.  If one of the slots in the slide are bent closed so that it rubs
on the posts, bend it back open -- easy fix!