Re: [OM] Jessops

Subject: Re: [OM] Jessops
From: "Sam Shiell" <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:03:03 +0100
<snip> ....., had staff who not only knew the equipment they stocked but
understood how and when it was best used and the relative merits of one
camera/lens/flash unit against the others </snip>

Ahh yes, but you must remember that what we now called consumer products
developed a lot slower than now, and there was a greater amount of
individuality about the products then. These days new products hit the shelves
almost daily, most of which are just a greater or lesser variation of what's
already there. In my yoof you'd be luck if you saw a new model camera a few
times a year and the difference between the models was always something
impressive.

If you don't agree then think about the difference between the launch of the
OM1, then the OM2 -- anyone remember how many years between? - and a major-ish
advance. Then look at the E10 and E20....2 years at most and from the user
point of view hardly any differences, just a high res and quicker. As a store
worker where's the incentive/interest/point in getting under the skin of a
product when it's going to be obsolete before the end of the week.

(and by the way, at my local "proper" camera shop the staff DO know what they
are talking about and can speak knowledgeably about all of their stock, and a
load of stuff they don't stock!)

Sam

This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the named addressee
only. It may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged and
protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive on behalf of the addressee) you may not copy, use or disclose its
contents to anyone else. If you received this e-mail in error please notify the
sender immediately and then delete it from your system. We make every effort to
keep our network free from viruses although we can take no responsibility for
any computer virus which may be transferred by way of this e-mail.