RE: [OM][OT] Lewiston Grade

Subject: RE: [OM][OT] Lewiston Grade
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
Looking at those pictures of the Lewiston Grade reminded me of
my "younger years" when I used to make it down to Roanoke and
the Smokies on a regular basis.

Roanoke mountain (or whatever it's called) has a nice little
loop road to the top.  It's a one-way road, which is a good
thing since on a bicycle you are all over the place.  There are
a couple spots going up that are STEEP--especially if you cut
the corners.

Coming down is a real adventure since it is not only steep, but
the corners are obscenely tight.  No need to peddle (which is a
good thing since your leg muscles are shot from the climb), but
your rear-cheeks get sore from puckering up. (yes, it's
butt-pucker steep).  In a matter of five seconds you can be back
up to 60 mph and then you have to jump on the brakes again to
make it around the next turn.

The brakes get seriously used and those rims are burning hot.
Well, at least the front one does, since the rear-wheel is
probably not touching the ground.

I did that only twice on a road-bike.  Found that the
mountain-bike was much easier to manage on that hill.  Besides,
it was geared lower.

OM content?  Well, I always carried an OM-1 with me.  I've got a
few pictures someplace.

Then there was the day I decided to ride up and over the
Newfound Gap.  Peddled Gatlinburg-Newfound Gap-Cherokee-Newfound
Gap-Gatlinburg with the side trip up to Clingman's Dome (only
made it partway because of snow).  That was one really long bike
ride.  Fortunately, 1/2 of it was downhill.  Slept like a baby
that night.

Nowadays, I'm lucky to ride at all.

AG