[OM] OM-2s meter has been resurrected

Subject: [OM] OM-2s meter has been resurrected
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:07:54 -0300
Well I'm glad to report that I have successfully revived the meter in my
OM-2s. It did turn out to be just bad batteries which is good in that it was
a nice cheap fix. I'm somewhat annoyed because I deliberately went to one of
the pro shops in town to buy batteries with the thought that they'd have
higher quality (or fresher) stuff than the drugstore. I suspect that there's
either an issue in general with the Maxell SR44's or just that they had a
bad batch of them (probably more likely) because both sets that I tried had
the same problem and both sets were only bought about 2 weeks ago. I bought
a pair of Duracell 357's today and the meter fired up correctly without any
problems and is working fine in all modes.

As a side note, I did have some fun last night with checking the baseplate
screws. I had mistakenly thought that the hole directly above the battery
cap was a screw hole that was missing it's screw. So I removed one of the
screws from around the tripod mount to test the theory that the baseplate
was loose around the batteries. Of course it's not actually a screw hole
(which I also confirmed by checking both my OM-1n's). In the process of
taking the screw back out of that hole though I lost it in between the keys
of the keyboard. Yes that's right, I am actually crazy enough to attempt
camera repairs at my computer desk over my keyboard (I wouldn't recommend
trying this). A relatively short side project of taking apart my keyboard
(and I only lost 2 screws in that process but they're a lot bigger and are
easy to find on the rug so they were found) recovered the screw and it has
been returned to it's rightful place in the baseplate.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on this.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx