Re: [OM] Underwhelmed by the E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwhelmed by the E-1
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:06:27 -0400
I haven't done any controlled tests, but anecdotally there are big
differences.  In a nutshell, the E20 will do an excellent 8x10 and a
reasonable 11x14.  The 4000ED will do an outstanding 13x19 (the largest I
can print on a single piece of paper).  I also have two poster size prints,
scanned on the 4000ED and cut into 4 pieces by the Epson print driver.
26x38 roughly.  Overwhelmingly good.  From the proper viewing distance,
you're blown away. They're both flowers.  Over our bed we have a white
hibiscus blown up to, what, 10X, no it has to be more.  The detail is
incredible. Every little piece of the stamen just jumps out -- and leaves a
shadow on the flower.  The E20 could never approach it. Never.

But, I'm not looking for that in digital. Yet.  The 1Ds might be close.

I still thought that Olympus would up the game a bit.  9MP.  Wide angles.
Something!

The weight comparison is interesting, and makes the E-1 more appealing (1/2
the weight of the 10D!).

The challenge is that there isn't a single store within 20 miles of me that
will have both in stock and let me compare.