Re: [OM] Mannheim book

Subject: Re: [OM] Mannheim book
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:46:22 +0100
Don't know if I've told my story about my copy of Mannheim before or not but it is quite amusing.

As I lived at University my Mam was picking up my OM-1n from Jessops as it was in for a repair. As the shop attendant was going to get my camera an old man came into the shop with some camera gear and a copy of Mannheim's book in pristine condition. My Mam overheard another shop attendant giving the old man #5 for the book. After the old man left my Mam enquired about the book. She was instantly quoted a price of #15 to which my Mam retorted "How come it is so much considering you only gave the old man #5 for it?". The shop attendant, looking very embarrassed, promtly sold it to her for #8. So I got my camera back, fixed, and a pristine copy of Mannheim for #8. That was a GOOD day!!! Hope someone has similar luck!

All the best,
Gareth.

Adam Long wrote:

First off, I have just joined so Hello everyone! Finally got fed up of knowing much more about OM than my local shop - figured I needed some advice from more informed people :^) Re: Mannheims book - I had no idea they are worth anything!! Could be tempted to sell mine - I was given it a couple of years ago by a guy who swapped his gear for n*kons. Don't worry - they got stolen so he got what he deserved! Re: Which Om body - I have a 1n & 4ti. Perfect combination. For difficult shots the 1n goes on a tripod and the shot carefully composed. 4ti & 50-250 is then used as a seperate meter. I can then lock up the 1n mirror and bracket a few shots - not that I need to with a meter like that!! The 1n is the only OM body with a seperate mirror lock up, and for that reason alone I can't imagine replacing it with a 3. (maybe a 3ti though, for fill-in flash!) adam

--

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke