Re: [OM] Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc:
Hi,
I read about the effects of filters on lens performance soon after I bought my
first camera and never bothered with one.
Later I changed my mind though.  My photography is mostly travel/landscape as
we go hiking a lot and you would be amazed how much gunk could stick to the
front element of the lens even if your camera was just hanging on your neck
while walking in the city.  I take the filter off if I want to take a 'serious"
picture.  The only reason I am doing this is because I do not care too much
about the filter and it is easy to clean, while one has to take precautions
while cleaning a lens.  This also saved the coating of my lens once...
Here is how it happened:
One guy from school had asked me to show him my camera and on the next day I
bring it and see him smoking outside with another friend.  I take the camera
out and show it to him, we talk, I explain why I like a 30yr old camera, when
suddenly he notices that there is some dust and fingerprints.  Fills his lungs
with air and blows on the lens, then grabs the end of his shirt and scrubs
meticulously until it was "squeaky clean".  I did not say anything, the lens
had a filter on....

I never take "action shots" so I always have the time to take the filter off,
but can see how would be inconvenient to some.
Speaking of filters, what is the difference between circular and linear
polarizer.  Do they look different?
thanks
Boris