[OM] Wide Angle Filters [was: Two Truths and a Lie]

Subject: [OM] Wide Angle Filters [was: Two Truths and a Lie]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:01:14 -0700
>From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
>John A. Lind wrote:
>> [about wide angle converters]
>> They come up regularly on the eB*y, or at least did come up a number
>> of years ago.
>
> There's still a whole lot of wideangle converters there -- search for
>'titanium wide angle',

I've chucked a lot of cheap wide-angle filters in the dustbin, INCLUDING the
so-called "titanium" ones. (They're made of titanium-coloured plastic... :-)

The ONLY wide angle filter I've found worth-while is the Olympus B28. I've even
used it on a 21/2, with only minimal darkening in the corners! There's a
certain amount of barrel distortion, but it's only noticeable when shooting
rectangular objects square-on.

The B28 will cost considerably more than other wide angle filters. I got mine
for about $90 on evilBay. New, they're more like $160, I think. Better to save
the $30-$60 you'd pay for any other one and put it toward the Real Thing. But
then I don't need to tell a bunch of people who will pay more for a 20-year-old
camera than they would for a new N90 or Rebel 2000... :-)

The B28 is only 0.8x, but you can't always get what you want. On the other
hand, if you're the sort of person who stacks up a 3x and 2x teleconverter to
save the price of a good super tele, then you'll probably be happy with a 0.5x
"titanium" :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.