Re: [OM] Taking pictures at an air show

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking pictures at an air show
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:43:33 +0200
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:27:29 +0200
"Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Guys,

<SNIP>

> Now... Of course I intent to attend the show, and to take pictures
> of course. Film-wise I'll go for Fuji Provia 400F and I may even
> decide to test its pushing capabilities. Gear wise I'm not quite
> certain yet, the body will definitely be the 4Ti, and lens-wise I
> was thinking of: 24-2: Overview shots.
> 35-80/2.8: (general pictures).
> 100/2: short tele range.
> 65-200/4: medium tele range.
> 300/4.5 + tripod: long tele range.
> Oly 2xTC?.

You have kids, right? Trained as camera-equipment-carriers? Either
that or slaves...I am not sure spouses will do :(

If it is anything like the Paris Air Show, then the above gear-list
is way excessive, and should/could be trimmed down substantially to
be managble.

For this years Paris Air Show I am probably going 300/4.5 + 1.4 and a
zoom "normal zoom" and that'll be it. Possibly even a zoom on an AF
body (24-90 or some such thing). That way I can actually stand
carrying it around for the whole day (which is what it takes to see
both what's in the air and on the ground...) I also have the added
advantage of not having to change lenses, once I have established if
the 1.4 teleconv is needed or not for the in-air shots.

I've had the 300/4.5 reccomended by Gary as a good air-show lens,
so that's why it goes in the bag this year.

> O.k., so everything from 24/2 - 65-200/4 will definitely go, but
> I'm a bit uncertain as to the 300/4.5 + tripod + TC. In previous
> years I have taken pictures with my father's 135/2.8, and at times
> I found myself wanting to be able to get that little bit closer.
> Then, I also know that I will be there from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.,
> and that I don't want to overload the camera bag too much.

No matter the task, your bag is already overloaded. I would say 35-80
+ 300 and that's it. If you must, stuff the 2x teleconv in a pocket
too. Note, this is said as someone with little specific experience in
photographing air-shows, but with a lot of experience in trying to
carry around a full kit on any kind of event that lasts a whole day.

I think that you will either be carrying two lenses and have an
enjoyable stay with time to photograph and watch -- or you will be
too exhausted from your heavy bag and your constantly changing lenses
to get any pictures taken and to enjoy yourself. I know that's how it
usually works out for me, at least.

Cheers,

--thomas