[OM] Oly 35SP

Subject: [OM] Oly 35SP
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:31:52 -0400
Tele/Wide adapters were pretty common for the 60's and 70's fixed lens rangefinders. My very first camera, which I still have (1963?) is a Petri 7s with razor sharp 45/2.8. It took a lot of great Tri-X and Kodachrome shots. The meter quit working about 35 years ago and so I recently bought a parts Petri 7s with a working meter and fixed it.

In those day I had always coveted the Tele/Wide auxiliary lenses but couldn't afford them. Then, a year or so ago I spotted a set on the bay and bought them. What I didn't realize is that, although specified for a 45mm/2.8, they were for a later model Petri (Petri Racer?) with 49mm filter thread like the 35SP. The Petri 7s has a 52mm thread so they don't fit without a step-down ring which I don't have. I have never actually used them.

Anyhow, if you'd like this set, you can have them for $15 plus shipping with right of return if they don't work out for any reason. They are supposedly designed for a 45/2.8 so they may vignette on a 42/1.7. On the other hand they probably need to be used at f/8-11 for decent performance and they may not vignette at smaller apertures.

Check for clearance. Back of lens has tapering protrusion sticking out about 5mm beyond the mounting threads. The taper starts at about 39mm diameter and tapers down to 19mm diameter over the 5mm depth. Front of lenses are impressive looking large chunks of glass.

Installing these on a Petri would cause loss of metering since the lens back would block the photocell surrounding the lens. The 35SP has the photocell near the viewfinder so metering will not be affected other than angle of view maybe not what the meter sees.

They are in fairly pristine condition and look like they have almost never been used. In fitted, red-lined, black leather case complete with auxiliary finder which fits in the hotshoe. JPEG's on request.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA
I have been using the Oly 35SP for quite a few years now and would like to know if you could add an wide angle lens to the exsisting lens 49mm thread - sort of in the way you do with the E-10 wide angle adapters; obviously adding an accessory finder to the hotshoe.