[OM] EX+ with box or New-old-stock?

Subject: [OM] EX+ with box or New-old-stock?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:29:51 -0400
I don't think of myself as a collector so I don't know how to act.

I got the EX+ 50mm f/1.8 from Adorama.  The box looks brand new and I mean like
it's been wrapped in tissue for 20 years.  It
doesn't even look like they had to brush dust off the box.  All the corners are
intact and I've had new stuff that didn't have this
much gloss left on the box.  Anyway.

I opened the box with a letter opener so I didn't ruin the flaps.  Inside was a
clamshell of styrofoam with a poly-wrapped 50mm 1.8.
The poly wrapper was folded over and appears to have the original, ONE set of
creases.  Without unwrapping it, the lens cap looks
factory new.

My memory of Zuikos is that almost everything in the System came with a small
piece of folded paper, explaining what it was, and
basically no instructions.

If this 1.8 originally had that, it doesn't now.  Other than that, I don't
think the lens has never been unwrapped let alone used.

I paid $25 for this thing.  All I wanted was a nice MiJ in slightly better
condition than I could get on ebay for the same money.
That's what's confusing.  I am tempted to put it away, unopened, but I'm not a
collector.  It's not like a MiJ is going to
appreciate into a retirement fund like Tom's super-teles.

I'm not a collector but I don't want to open it.  If I sell it, I'll still need
to buy a user!  It's a nice "problem" to have.

So, when this thing was new, did it have a piece of folded paper or is this
New-old-stock?  I mean is it *complete* in the
Collector's sense?

The box says it's L No: 1,964,6xx (no commas).

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Lama

Jim L'Hommedieu