[OM] Re: 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:08:32 -0700
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Andrew and Tom have apparenently misintepreted the 4/3 in the Olydak
>"4/3 system" as 4/3" (inch) and as meaning the size of the diagonal of
>the sensor.
>
>In the 4/3 system, 4/3 is the aspect ratio of the sensor, ie; ratio of
>width and height...

I don't think this is correct. I recall reading somewhere that the fractional
system of identifying sensors goes back to some obscure video tube dimension,
and that it didn't directly measure any "real" solid state dimension.

But it definitely has to do with dimensions, NOT ratios. Otherwise, one could
not design a lens for a "4/3" sensor, and have the same crop with different
sensors.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.