[OM] operation of shift lenses

Subject: [OM] operation of shift lenses
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:33:18 -0700

>the shift lens is basically a lens with a wider field of view that has been
>cropped.  by shifting the lens, you are allowing a different part of the
>image circle to be in the frame.

Yes, but with an important difference. The "cropped" area of the shift
still gives you a full frame on the film. If you just cropped an image
taken with an 18mm you will get the same view but the image on film will
be smaller. So you get less information or fewer pixels assuming both
lenses are similarly sharp.

 Did i get that right? Maybe I was just saying what you said only in a
different way.
Mike