Re: [OM] Getting rid of engraving (was KEH Bargain = silvernose?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Getting rid of engraving (was KEH Bargain = silvernose?)
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:20:23 -0500
I'd just ignore it.  Could yourself lucky that you got a good deal.

I see a very similar behavior on vintage fountain pens, my other weakness.
People buy pens with nice engravings and proceed to have them "removed" by some
sort of physical buffing or sanding.  Then end result is a pen with a low spot,
which looks crappy.  For pens, I actually like the engraving, as it gives the
pen some sort of soul, likely having signed many documents in it's past.  I
wonder how many contracts, birth certificates, marriage licenses, or letters a
particularly well-worn pen has been through since the 1920's when I use it.
The upside is that the engravings are typically very professionally done, some
even very artistic

On cameras the engraving is typically crappy electric-pen writing of some guy's
SS# right on the back of the top plate.  If the camera was black, I'd just put
some electrical tape over it and ignore it.  DIY refinishing, IME, typically
looks like amatuer refinishing and detracts more from the value than an intact
engraving.

But that's just my opinion.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost